A block of rooms are being held for NEH Forge of Innovation workshop participants who wish to stay at the newest Springfield hotel, the Holiday Inn Express on State Street, close to the Springfield Museums Quadrangle and the Springfield Armory, as well as to restaurants, the new Springfield Casino entertainment complex, and the Basketball Hall of Fame (the modern game of basketball was invented in Springfield in 1891).
- The newly designed and appointed hotel makes use of a century-old building on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1917, The Radding Building for many years housed the Mutual Fire Assurance Company founded in 1827.
- Inside the classically-detailed exterior , a $10 million dollar update has created a modern, fresh hotel which was opened with ceremony in 2018.
- Program bus will pick up and drop off participants at program sites and return to the hotel.
- Downtown Springfield is 25 minutes from Hartford’s Bradley International Airport. Amtrak serves Downtown Springfield with 6-9 trains daily.
- Participants will access several archives and collections, featuring the Museum of Springfield History, Springfield Armory National Historic Site, and collections of the Library of Congress.
- Online exhibits and model lessons help teachers to bring project learning to their students. See Forge of Innovation Resources.